Applications for Autumn 2013 docent training will be accepted starting August 1, 2013
What is a docent?
- A volunteer educator who guides tours in museums
- Also known as a tour guide, interpreter, facilitator, gallery guide, or explainer
What do Bata Shoe Museum docents do?
- Lead interactive tours in our four exhibitions
- Work with students of all grade levels, adults and adult ESL learners
- Use the hands-on collection to give visitors an ‘up close’ experience
When is the training?
Choose one of:
- Daytime - Eight training sessions on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 1:00 to 3:00 pm, beginning Tuesday, September 25, 2012 and ending Tuesday October 18
- Evening - Eight training sessions on Mondays and Wednesdays from 6:00-8:00 pm beginning Wednesday, September 26, 2012 ending Monday October 24
What is the commitment?
- Attend all eight training sessions
- Once trained, at least one half-day during the week (Monday to Friday) or one hour on weekends
- Attend ongoing training
- Attend training for new exhibitions
What are the qualifications?
- Fluency in English
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience teaching children, previous art gallery or museum experience, or an interest in history/fashion is helpful
- Fluency in French an asset
- Energy and enthusiasm!
What are the rewards?
- Volunteer Appreciation events
- Service Awards
- Gift shop discount
- Complimentary admission to many Toronto museums and attractions
- Tickets to selected lectures and events
- Complimentary subscription to our newsletter, Footnotes
- New learning, new experiences, new friends
How do I apply?
Contact: Sheila Knox, Head of Education
firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.979.7799 ext. 228